The Tenth Street Studio Building, specifically intended for artists, was commissioned by James Boorman Johnston and designed by Richard Morris Hunt in 1857. It officially opened in January of 1858, but artists listed it as their address as early as late 1857. A number of its initial tenants were associated with the Bohemians at Pfaff's, including writer Theodore Winthrop and artists George Henry Boughton, Anna Mary Freeman (later known as Mary Freeman Goldbeck), Aaron Draper Shattuck, and Launt Thompson. The building's original address was 15 Tenth Street, but this was changed to 51 West Tenth Street in 1866. The building was demolished in 1956 (Blaugrund, The Tenth Street Studio Building, 1997, 17, 23, 132-134).
George Henry Boughton is identified as an artist living at 15 10th Street.
George Henry Boughton is listed among the roster of tenants as residing there from 1857-1861 (133). The building officially opened in January of 1858, but some artists listed it as their address as early as late 1857 (23).
The Vault at Pfaff's
27 Memorial Drive West, Bethlehem, PA 18015