User menu

Menu

Tenth Street Studio Building

The Tenth Street Studio Building, specifically intended for artists, was commissioned by James Boorman Johnston and designed by Richard Morris Hunt in 1857. It officially opened in January of 1858, but artists listed it as their address as early as late 1857. A number of its initial tenants were associated with the Bohemians at Pfaff's, including writer Theodore Winthrop and artists George Henry Boughton, Anna Mary Freeman (later known as Mary Freeman Goldbeck), Aaron Draper Shattuck, and Launt Thompson.

Missouri History Museum

NYU Press

USC

OSU Cartoon

Rossetti

Pages

Subscribe to The Vault at Pfaff's RSS